Laboratory of Electrochemistry and Physico-chemistry of Materials and Interfaces 1130 rue de la piscine, BP 75 38402 St Martin d'Hères, France
Site internet : http://
My actual research field is situated in the bioelectrochemical engineering and more particularly in the biological production of hydrogen, an energetic vector used as principal combustible in fuel cell.
The studied bio-processes produce hydrogen by process from organic acids found either in industrial effluents or issued from a previous dark biofermentation process or by chemical transformation of biomasses.
The studied biological organism principally concerns the non pathogenous anaerobic photosynthetic bacterium, Rhodobacter capsulatus in reason of various advantages (light spectra use of 68.5%) degradation of great range of carbonated substrates (lactate, acetate, .....), one of the greater productivity (130 ml H2/h/g bacterial dry weight in batch culture and 320 ml H2/h/g bacterial dry weight in continuous culture).
Under photosynthetic conditions, the produced hydrogen purity reached 85-95%, with a substrate conversion of 50-95%. The hydrogen can be directly converted, without a purification step, in electricity inside a fuel cell (PEMFC or SOFC noted B see above).
Different carbon substrates can be used by Rhodobacter capsulatus: cheese industry waste, potato industry, cane sugar industry, .... and all type of industry which products carbonated waste rich either in lactate, acetate, ....compounds.
The methodology of DOE (design of experiments) is regularly and successfully applied in the laboratory using the two photosynthetic lab-made chambers (45 experiments tested in parallel) or during international collaborations (ethylen bioproduction, H2 bioproduction from whey ....).
* Ph.D. degree, Cellular and Molecular Biology, 24 November 1987, University Grenoble 1, France.
* Post Doc CREMGP (Research Center in Mineral Electrochemistry and Chemical Enginnering), Grenoble Institut of Technology, France 10/01/1987-10/01/1989.
* National University of Columbia (UNAL Bogota) 10/2009-02/2012.
* Hydrogen production by photosynthetic bacteria (Rhodobacter capsulatus, Rhodobacter sphaeroides, R. rubrum, R. palustris)
* Design of Experiment (DOE) methodology
Rédigé par Jean-Pierre Magnin
mise à jour le 14 mars 2017